Friday, June 10, 2011

Sculptocarbonite

Allegory of emancipation...


...or Han Solo after Boba Fett got to him?

This weird relief panel is part of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument in Providence, RI, designed by Randolph Rogers, who is swiftly become my favorite American expatriate sculptor (a lot of American sculptors in the mid-nineteenth century moved to Italy and spent the rest of their lives there, as I'm sure I will discuss a whole lot someday).

The whole monument looks like this:


The Emancipation panel above is one of the four panels that you see in the lower register of the monument, right above the stairs. There's a different allegory on each side.

I'm sure there will be a more informative post about Randolph Rogers coming one of these days, because I'm getting to like him more and more, but for now, this is a teaser. It's been a long day learning how to talk about material culture to people on TV, and I'm going to a dinner party in a little bit. Tomorrow: I'm hoping to have something fun to post after my trip to New York City!

No comments:

Post a Comment